High Schools – FORMULA ONE Technology Challenge
The challenge is fully supported by Yas Marina Circuit Yas in SchoolsTM staff, a range of guides, tutorials, classroom resources and access to the specialised technologies. In teams of 3 – 6 members, students get hands-on experience working together to complete the following tasks:
- Conduct research and business planning. Raise and manage a team budget.
- Design a gas powered model Formula OneTM car using free CAD software and tutorials
- Develop a team brand and identity
- Have their car design manufactured at school or by Yas in SchoolsTM on one of our 3D DENFORD computerised manufacturing machines. Paint finish with team livery
- Deliver a team verbal presentation and team pit display
- Complete a team project design portfolio
- Race their model cars at speed over a distance of 20m
In the UAE there are two Yas in SchoolsTM competition categories:
- Rookie Class – For first time competitors aged 14 years or less. There are special design parity and competition rules for this entry level
- Professional Class – For the older students and those who have participated previously.
Race to become World Champions!
Team’s progress through school competition and qualifying stage, for a chance to compete in the excitement of the UAE National Final held annually in May at Yas Marina Circuit! Both the Rookie Class and Professional Class National Champions will qualify to represent the UAE at the Yas in Schools World Finals, held each year in conjunction with a Formula One® Grand Prix event!
The Yas in SchoolsTM Challenge is all about fun, teamwork and learning new skills. It requires students to form their own mini F1TMlike team and complete tasks that test their skills in different career disciplines within a competitive environment to see which teams can become National Champions and qualify to represent the UAE at the Yas in SchoolsTM World Finals.
Primary Schools – Formula Ethara
ETHARA means excitement! FormulaEthara, the Classroom Racing Team Challenge for Primary Schools, is a project based learningformula for engaging Stage 2 children in 21st Century skills.
Delivered co-curricular or as an extra-curricular themed work unit, Formula Ethara provides teachers with a team work platform for delivering a wide range of outcomes related to design, technology, art, science, math, literacy and enterprise. In teams of 3 or 4, children design and make their own team branded personal model car body from paper card which they attach to a standard folded paper card chassis, complete with supplied wheels.
Team members’ work together to create their own identity which they show case along with their project work through a verbal presentation, team poster and table display. Schools can visit YMC as an end of unit celebration to race student cars for their very own School Grand Prix along with fully guided behind the scenes tours of Yas Marina Circuit! Race days which are facilitated in schools can also be booked.
Registered schools will be invited to nominate their top teams for participation in the 2016 Formula Ethara National Final (April 16th).
Looking For Something to do These Holidays?
Yas in SchoolsTM vacation programmes are facilitated from the world class Centre of Excellence right on Yas Marina Circuit. We will be announcing new Vacation programmes soon. Contact us by mailing [email protected] if you would like to receive updates when available.