2021 TRACK LAYOUT
A new era begins at Yas Marina Circuit. For the action. For the fans. For the sport. Here’s a sneak peek of the changes coming to our track layout for the 2021 #AbuDhabiGP.
BACK ON TRACK
In line with government directives, Yas Marina Circuit is undertaking significant precautionary measures across the venue to ensure the health and wellbeing of visitors alike.
Stay tuned to our social media channels for updates. If you have any questions and for more information, please contact our customer service on 800 927.
TURN 5 - NORTH GRANDSTAND
- Approached by F1 cars at over 300kph on a flat out run from the downhill Turn 4
- More side-by-side action right in front of the fans
- Expect to see some action on the first and opening laps of the race in particular
TURN 9 - SOUTH GRANDSTAND
- Previously a heavy braking zone, it will allow F1 cars to approach the corner at over 300km per hour and enter a fast, wide long sweeping hairpin
- Allow drivers to battle for position side-by-side on entry and test their bravery
- Expected to allow cars to follow closely as they exit the turn and head past Yas Marina. The current format creates a ‘concertina effect’ and causes excess tyre wear through the tricky section of corners which make up turn 11 to 14
TURN 12 TO 15 - W HOTEL SEQUENCE
- Open up the radii of each of the corners, resulting in a faster, flowing section of track and allowing cars to be reliant on power and a smooth driving style than aerodynamics.
- Expected to allow cars to run more closely to one another and create closer racing across the course of a lap
WHAT GOES INTO MODIFYING A TRACK?
In order to maximize the effect of the changes, a number of factors were taken into consideration. These included the technical changes to the 2022 Formula One cars, the need to maximize the racing spectacle for fans both on the ground and on TV and, if possible, create a signature corner for the track.
Stay tuned across our social media channels @ymcoffical for more updates on our new track!