Flash Entertainment unveils Yasalam - a thrilling programme of events and entertainment across Abu Dhabi during October
Flash Entertainment, the Abu Dhabi-based events company, today launched one of the most diverse and ambitious city-wide entertainment programmes ever seen by a Formula 1™ host city. Yasalam, meaning ‘wow’ or ‘amazing’ in Arabic, will spread excitement across Abu Dhabi throughout October as the country leads up to its biggest ever sporting event - the 2009 Formula 1™ Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
Yasalam's dynamic line-up of entertainment and events will spread from the Corniche and beach right across the city, taking in schools, universities, shopping malls, hotels, Abu Dhabi International Airport and Yas Island itself. The programme is based on three elements - Yasalam Live on the Corniche, Yasalam Live across the City, and Yasalam Live on Yas Island – which will see Abu Dhabi come alive with community programmes in universities and public locations, live events, exhibitions and entertainment on Abu Dhabi Corniche.
A line-up of some of the biggest names in music will also be performing live, exclusively for race-day ticket holders, on Yas Island.
Speaking at the launch, John Lickrish, Managing Director of Flash Entertainment, said:
“Flash is incredibly excited to be launching this ground breaking programme of events and entertainment. Yasalam has been designed to appeal to all ages, backgrounds and nationalities, so whether you’re a motorsport fan or not, from the UAE or overseas, there will be lots of exciting things for you to do in Abu Dhabi this October. The climax to the Formula 1™ season deserves something very special to accompany it and we most certainly will be providing this with Yasalam.”
Ossama Khoreibi, Chairman of Flash Entertainment reiterated two important points: the importance of Yasalam as a programme the nation could be proud of, and a celebration of the ongoing stature and growth of the UAE capital.
“Yasalam will offer residents and visitors to Abu Dhabi a unique experience which will be unmatched by any host city, anywhere in the world. Yasalam is also more than just entertainment - it is a celebration of our diverse and beautiful city and further proof, if any were needed, that Abu Dhabi has arrived as a truly international destination for entertainment and leisure. Yasalamwill help to create a legacy for the entire country to enjoy for years to come.”
At the heart of Yasalam will be ‘Live on the Corniche’ - a free entertainment programme running on Abu Dhabi Corniche from 16 October through to 1 November featuring:
- The very first official F1 Fan Zone™ Abu Dhabi, brought to the city by Mubadala, will be open daily for two weeks and will feature exciting motorsport-themed entertainment including simulators, pit stop challenges, special appearances by drivers and live coverage from the Formula 1™ Grand Prix in Brazil and the season finale from the Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi.
- The Yasalam Brazilian Parade will see local school children, performers and a marching band celebrate on the beach before the final race from the Brazilian Grand Prix.
- Cinema by the Sea, brought to the city by Twofour54, will transform the beach into a giant outdoor cinema for three nights of favourite all-time car films from modern family hits like Cars and Herbie Fully Loaded, to classics such as Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and the iconic Italian Job.
- Beats on the Beach, brought to the city by TwoFour54, will offer five fantastic nights of free concerts on the beach, featuring a star-studded line up of local, regional and international artists. Amongst them are the likes of the UAE’s very own Hussein Al Jasmi and international hip-hop superstar Timbaland, performing along with regional artists Fares Karam and Myriam Fares, and a host of DJs and bands from all over the world.
- Abu Dhabi Galleria: Past and Present sees a permanent exhibition run across the Corniche Beach boardwalk, showcasing outstanding F1™ and Abu Dhabi photography through the years for residents and visitors to enjoy.
- Arabic Culture Weekend sees Abu Dhabi Authority for Culture and Heritage and Flash celebrate traditional Arabic food, crafts and music on the beach throughout the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix race weekend.
Yasalam will also reach out to families, young people and students across the capital as ‘Yasalam Live across the City’ – co-produced by Flash and KHP Consulting Ltd - introduces two unique outreach initiatives to the people of Abu Dhabi:
- The Art of Racing will see some of the most exciting Emirati and Arabic artists customize replica F1™ cars during live art events across Abu Dhabi. The stars of these events include Jalal Luqman - one of Abu Dhabi’s most prominent artists, Wasel Safwan – an award-winning painter, Dana Saif Al Mazrouei - one of Abu Dhabi’s finest young artists, Khalid Mezaina - known for his colorful pop art style and Mizmah - a group of six young female Emirati artists. The public can watch the artists and their wondrous work take shape live at Marina Mall, Emirates Palace, Zayed University, Abu Dhabi International Airport and on the Corniche at the F1 Fan Zone™ Abu Dhabi.
- Mastering Motorsport is a specially designed educational initiative focused on providing young students in Abu Dhabi with the chance to learn about careers in the industry from leading F1™ professionals including David Coulthard and Yas Marina Circuit and Abu Dhabi Motorsports Management’s (ADMM) CEO Richard Cregan. Held at Zayed University Auditorium, Mastering Motorsport will help students in Abu Dhabi develop a deeper knowledge and interest in motorsport, not just as an event but also as a possible career.
Katja Heim, CEO of KHP Consulting, commented:
“We are excited to be working in Abu Dhabi alongside Flash in developing these engaging community programmes. Activities such as The Art of Racing and Mastering Motorsport have been designed to entertain the people of Abu Dhabi, allowing them to understand, embrace and be proud of hosting a round of the FIA Formula 1 World Championship.”
The final element of the programme will see Yasalam culminate with four nights of spectacular after-race concerts on Yas Island over the race weekend - exclusively for Grand Prix ticket holders. Held at the soon to be opened Ferrari World, Flash has confirmed that Beyonce (Thursday 29 October) and Aerosmith (Sunday 1 November) will open and close the race weekend. Further announcements on the Friday and Saturday shows will be made by Flash in the coming days. Access to all four nights of concerts is restricted to race day ticket holders only so please see the website for further details.
For the full programme of Yasalam events and activities or for further information, visit www.yasalam.aeBack to news